RTL began trading in 1991 as a joint venture between Roche Mining, Thiess and Linfox with contracts to provide heavy mobile plant services to the major electricity generators in the Latrobe Valley. RTL incorporated in 2011 becoming RTL Mining and Earthworks Pty Ltd. Services have expanded to include mining, plant hire, civil and earthmoving contracting as well as general and over dimensional transport.
RTL generates annual turnover in excess of AU $100 million and employs up to 500 employees during the earthworks season.
Key capabilities include:
- Victorian based with a significant in-house plant fleet consisting of 41no. Dozers from D6 to D11, 18no, Excavators from 11t to 190t, 8no. Graders 12no. Loaders, 44no. Dump Trucks 15t – 150t and 9no.
- Transport business specialising in over dimensional and heavy haulage operating as RTL Transport.
- Holding the Office of the Federal Safety Commissioner Accreditation (exp. 25/05/2022), in accordance with Australian Government Building and Construction OHS Accreditation Scheme.
- Excellent safety record, annual average of 800 000+ man hours.
- Integrated management system, which is certified to AS/NZ ISO 9001 (Quality), AS/NZ ISO 14001 (Environmental) and AS/NZ 4801 (Safety).
- VicRoads Prequalification R4, B3 and F150.
- Vast experience demonstrated by a range of successful projects delivered to meet the needs of the client.
RTL is based in the Latrobe Valley specialising in mining and civil engineering works. RTL also operates a transport business specialising in over dimensional and heavy haulage.
Core business activities include:
- Contract mining.
- Civil construction.
- Heavy earthmoving and plant hire services.
- Over dimensional and general transport.
RTL pioneered the dozer push mining method replacing the bucket wheel dredge fleet at the Yallourn Brown Coal mine. The plant provides approximately 25% of Victoria’s electricity and operates on a 24 hour, 365 day basis.
This mining method is recognized as the lowest cost mining operation in the Latrobe Valley, consistently providing up to 2500t of coal per hour, totally up to 17.5 million t per annum maintaining coal reliability.
RTL achieves required production rates by operating four highly modified Caterpillar D11 Carry Dozers fitted with 90 cubic metre special purpose blades, along with four special purpose feeder breakers. These feed coal onto a conveying system which transports it to the power station.
RTL's plant fleet has been selected with an emphasis on safety & productivity and is ideally suited to the conditions encountered in the Latrobe Valley.
RTL has conducted numerous truck and shovel overburden removal campaigns at all of the major mines in the Latrobe Valley.
RTL has significant civil, road works and general earthworks capability. Projects completed by RTL include:
- All earthworks and other civil services on the $1b Victorian Desalination Project.
- Two separate diversions of the Morwell River: Yallourn and Hazelwood.
- Design and construction of the Princes Highway duplication east section between Flynn and Rosedale.
- 8km upgrade of the Strzelecki Highway.
EARTHMOVING PLANT HIRE
RTL operates a large, modern and well-maintained fleet of plant and equipment including:
- 30 and 40 tonne articulated trucks.
- 50 and 180 tonne rear dump trucks.
- 123kw through to 634kw dozers.
- Wide range of excavators, graders and front-end loaders.
OVER DIMENSIONAL AND GENERAL TRANSPORT
RTL Transport operates a fleet of heavy haulage prime movers and floats. These are capable of hauling earthmoving and construction equipment along with other over dimensional loads. RTL Transport also operates a range of semi-trailers to meet general freight requirements.
The RTL Transport fleet operates under VicRoads accredited mass and maintenance management protocols.